Sunday, February 12, 2012

My husband and I got married on September 21, 2009 in beautiful Emerald Isle, NC.  I absolutely love weddings and couldn't wait to design my own beach themed event.  After all our hard work, it really was perfect, the weather was still warm, the decorations looked romantic and serene, and best of all everyone had a blast.

Let's start with the dresses, I mean isn't the the first and most important part?!  I had a custom dress made after trying on many "princess" gowns and realizing I was drowning in a sea of chiffon.  This one was a mermaid style, sleek, not too overwhelming, with still a bit of train in the back.  I added a wide silk taffeta sash, taffeta stands up better then satin (I can't stand a droopy bow) which tired around twice and the ties just hit the floor.  To finish it off my Mom found this turquoise necklace to give it a pop of color going with the beach theme.  My gorgeous bridesmaids each chose their choice of dress from J Crews wedding line, http://www.jcrew.com/wedding.jsp, in color tea rose.  This is highly recommended because each girl got a dress that fit and flattered their bodies.  J Crew's dresses are also not too formal where I could see the dress worn again for other events. 


The guys wore khaki suits that had a bit of a linen texture to them which I loved.  Paired with a sage green tie, they looked great on their own as well as blending into the weddings colors of coral, turquoise, and sage.  I made each boutonniere because I wanted something unique, beachy, and contemporary.  I used artificial starfish and leaves found a Michaels Arts and Crafts.  I hot glued the two together and added the pin.  It's a great idea because you do it ahead and simply store away until the big day.  




These were fun to make.  A local rental company rented the metal hangers to us.  I found the lanterns for super cheap at ikea, then customized it with ribbon and artificial flowers.  LED lights placed in each one gave off a beautiful glow at night.






Now for the cake, ahhh my beautiful cake.  As much as I would have loved to make my own wedding cake I am so glad I didn't.  The bride has enough to worry about!  I did design it, like my dress very simple yet elegant. The satin ribbon matched the guys ties perfectly and added the orchids last minute.  We decided on a three tier cake so each layer was a different flavor so guests could have their preference.  I love this cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment